Skip to main content
Your WayYouth Advice Centres

My Benefit Claim

By 27th March 2018November 20th, 2020No Comments

After receiving my last payment two weeks ago and having my benefit claim closed (which was the right decision because I’m now well enough to work) my bank balance sat at Zero.

I was told I’d have to wait four weeks before being able to claim a different benefit and because I had no income my housing benefit was also ended. I informed my land lord of my situation but received no reply. I also had an outstanding SW water bill which I was unable to pay.

I contacted the Your Way Staff who supported me and helped me appeal the benefit decision. With their help we contacted SW water who offered to suspend payment plan until I was able to sort out my benefits before the agreed upon date. Even though they could have easily gone to court and enforced the payment. If my benefits weren’t sorted out by end of first suspension I could try to negotiate additional suspension time.

A Your Way worker spoke to Cornwall Council Discretionary HB payments for me and we completed a Nil Income claim over the phone to pay my landlord. I was also able to get crisis help with gas and electricity. The worker then spoke to benefits worker who confirmed there was nothing on file to say I could not apply for 4 weeks for another benefit.

Taking the advice from the Your Way staff I then submitted an online benefits claim.


– Male aged 19

Guest Blogger

Author Guest Blogger

More posts by Guest Blogger

Leave a Reply


Designed by young people, for young people

Our app links young people with local serives, self-help resources; including apps, podcasts, blogs, and videos and helps you create and plan your own wellbeing resilience action plan.